I sold a pair of earrings for $350, bought insurance and printed the label online. To protect myself, I took a very clear, unmistakable video of the package going into the collection box.

Turns out that my package never made it to the USPS location where it would be scanned. My guess is that it was stolen by the pick-up driver. I filed a claim. After all, the USPS website states that ANY mail (except for maybe registered) can be placed in those street collection boxes.

I was denied the claim twice and the appeal was denied too - even though I mailed it by express mail and included a memory stick with the video of the package going into the box. The USPS never acknowledged, commented on, nor returned the video. I received a form letter explaining that since there was no scan, there's no proof that the item was mailed. So I learned my lesson.

Those boxes are not safe, and the Post Office won't stand behind them when your mail disappears after you drop something in there. Each of those street collection boxes should warn people that "you use this collection box at your own risk.

Your insurance here is worthless. If you want security, bring it to a Post Office window and have it scanned and get a receipt."

Review about: Usps Customer Care.

Reason of review: Important package disappeared with no recourse.

Comments