12.3K views

Are carriers required to attempt knocking on an addressee's door in an apartment complex when delivering a basic priority mail package that's too big for the box?

I had the same carrier for over a year who always knocked and gave me my package. (I'm home all day, every day.)

Recently a new carrier took over who hasn't bothered knocking, but goes strait to to the box and puts a "Sorry we missed you" slip in it, telling me I can pick up the package at the leasing office.

They obviously didn't "miss" me, and this causes me a substantial inconvenience.

Is this allowed? (i.e. was I spoiled by the previous carrier going the extra mile,) or is my new carrier just being lazy?

Comments

I often send "Priority Mail" packages to my parents in suburban Yonkers, New York. The carrier never rings their door bell.

I have the package tracked so I know when it is being delivered. My parents are elderly and are home all day. The package would sit all day and overnight if I did not contact them. It takes a second to ring the door bell.

I live on the 3rd floor of a elevator building in Florida. Any carrier that delivers to me knocks on my door to alert me that a package is being dropped off.

My mail delivery guy is lazy ..twice I caught him pulling away from my mail box while standing in my driveway...he had packages for me and was never gonna deliver them to me because his is lazy I have two complaints about him to my post office and people working there thought it was funny I did not...he should be fired and replaced with someone who appreciates a job like that..

The real problem here is that you are “home all day, every day.” You are probably getting depressed and this is leading to your frustration over little details such as the mail man knocking or not. Get a hobby and start enjoying life.

to Anonymous #1498446

this destructive comment has no place here

to Anonymous #1517409

That has nothing to do with anything nie it answers the question lol you get a life

I got so tired of it that I filed a complaint through the USPS to Consumer Affairs and I'm leveling charges of mail tampering/mail fraud. There's more involved to it than what's posted here but I'm posting this here because I too have been going through this nightmare and I am sick of it.

Contact the USPS.gov direct and tell them that you want to file a complaint about mail tampering/mail fraud and that you want a case number. Mine was passed to Consumer Affairs within 2 days of placing my complaint.

Newton, New Jersey, United States #1276213

I have the same problem in West Orange, NJ. The women will not leave her mail truck for any reason.

If there is a package that is signature required, she will not attempt to get a signature at the door. She will falsely leave a PS Form 3849 in the mailbox claiming “You were missed” without even attempting to ring the doorbell or knock on the door of my home. There have been several times where I was home anticipating a package being delivered only to find a PS Form 3849 in the mailbox stating there was an attempt to deliver the package. I usually pay a premium to have packages expedited.

I have to wait an extra 3 days until I receive a package due to her pure laziness.

I plan on complaining to the local Post Master about this.

Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States #1218358

yes this is allowed the carriers are not paid to nor required to knock on anyones door for anything at all except for items requiring a signature

some carriers are above and beyond the normal average service worker.but others dont play well with others

Clayton, North Carolina, United States #1205956

I am having the same problem at my apartment in NC- I called the main customer service line to report this complaint and to ask what the policies are for delivering packages. They said that mail carriers are supposed to bring the package to your door if you live no higher than the 2nd floor.

I keep getting those orange "attempted delivery" slips in my mailbox even though I KNOW no one attempted to deliver to my door because I was home. Oddly, the section on the back of the orange slip where you sign/ ask for redelivery etc has a big X through it. I've never seen that before- and I've lived lots of places.

Good luck.

File a formal complaint. Maybe the more they receive, the more they'll care about better service.

Greenville, South Carolina, United States #1205089

Okay I actually don't really mind them not knocking. I don't even mind, since I'm an apartment dweller, it being left in the clubhouse or leasing office.

However, if you don't knock and you do drop the package, at least have the common decency to leave me a receipt that I had a package dropped. I had 6 packages in a row dropped at my clubhouse, and I guess the carrier thought I had ESP.

Lazy effers. I wish USPS had some sort of competition out there, but this is what happens when you have no competition and a monopoly.

#1200852

My carrier does the exact same thing. I was just sitting on the other side of the door and heard her scanning something.

I went out a minute later to grab the mail and there is one of the sorry we missed you slips. Probably the 5th or 6th time I have been home when she was dropping off mail and then found a sorry we missed you receipt.

Except you did not miss me.... I was right there and now I have to wait a day and go up to the station to pick it up......

Seattle, Washington, United States #1129479

and see what they have to say. I'll come back later to leave comments.

Please leave comments if you have any. -Anonymous-

LAZY. What does it take to ring a bell or knock on the door?!

The only reason I can see for not doing it is they think since they knocked or rang the bell they have to wait to see if you come to the door.

No knocking or ringing....no waiting. LAZY!!!!!

you were spoiled. its not reqired even by ups or fedex.

to Anonymous #1425264

Then what is the point of a mail carrier? Why are there people out carrying your mail around just to leave you a note saying you can pick it up at the post office? You don't know what you're talking about.

USPS has never attempted to deliver a package to my apartment door. She pulls in and drops all packages at the front and puts a notice in the box.

Which is better than FedEx they drop off pkgs at the front and don't even bother to leave you a note, if you don't have tracking you'll never know they came & I'm aways home so I know they never attempt. UPS, on the other hand, does their job correctly.

Randallstown, Maryland, United States #1036537

i have a bad experience with my postman, also. he doesn't bother to knock on my door.

2 packages been stolen from the front of my door within 3 months, with me unaware in the house. i 'm also wandering if they are supposed to knock on your door.

Well actually you as a taxpayer do have the right. They are not allowed to leave the package unless the mailer is a participant in the carrier release program

to Anonymous #1079023

USPS does not receive tax payer money soooo that is inaccurate.